The Town of Rhinebeck Committee on Aging became aware of the "aging in place" concept in 2007 and joined with our neighbors from the greater Poughkeepsie area in exploring the possibility of creating something modeled on Boston's ground-breaking Beacon Hill Village. Distance and cost estimates essentially derailed the concept of just one organization in Dutchess County.
A 2011 survey by the Town of Rhinebeck Committee on Aging identified more than 70 Rhinebeck residents who were interested in learning more about the possibility of an aging-in-place organization for Rhinebeck. A small group of Rhinebeck residents formed a not-for-profit organization and held many meetings and gatherings of interested persons.
Northern Dutchess Hospital provided us with office space; the Community Foundation of the Hudson Valley provided fiscal sponsorship; we developed policies and procedures; the Frost Memorial Fund provided seed funding; we obtained insurance and established membership criteria. We finally launched on Thursday, May 9th, 2013 with 40 members and have since grown to 122. members.
Officers & Board of Directors
President: Nina Lynch Ellen Hubbert
Vice President: Anne Brueckner Teppie Lampros
Treasurer: Francois Weigel Chuck Mishaan
Secretary: Linda Stanley
Neighbors Helping Neighbors
- Members in Rhinebeck at Home believe in helping ourselves and each other lead fully engaged lives
- Members engage in planning and attending enriching programs and activities.
- Rhinebeck at Home encourages and coordinates the efforts of our members to give and receive support
Members help members in some of the following ways:
- Providing referrals to other community service organizations
- Helping each other do things
- Sharing member-recommended service provider referrals
- Doing things together: offering opportunities to forge new friendships through all-member events and through small group activities built on shared interest in art, local history, music, books, sports, film, the environment, cooking, eating out, etc.
How we do it:
- Calling the office phone at 845-379-1114 provides access to an experienced volunteer coordinator
- The volunteer office staff will assist members in finding the services they need.